Cluj Innovation City brings a decisive contribution to education, research and the capitalization of the results in economy, being one of the most important major projects in Romania.
The foundation for any sustainable economy and innovation culture is education, therefore we support it on all levels. The R&D Centers will provide the opportunity for highly advanced research in an collaborative infrastructure. We focus also on a pragmatic and realistic approach of the relationship between the industry and education, highlighting for example the vocational education as an opportunity to provide specialized workforce. Through professional reorientation programs we reduce the unemployment rate, feed the working industries like IT or agriculture and facilitate the job mobility as key for the future economic stability. We support a healthy entrepreneurship in order to build new economic opportunities and competitive development for the future. The academic environment is stimulated through the partnerships with private companies to facilitate the technology transfer and to attract foreign players through competitive highly specialized applied research. Bending the current business model from outsourcing to innovation and own intellectual property we support a sustainable economy.
Education & Vocational Studies
Education is at the core of any major society change. The Cluj Innovation City Project is comprised of a set of syncronized parts aimed at delivering excellence in education while also becoming replicable reference at a regional and national level. There are four parts already planned:
- Primary School - a modern school, with an education system adapted to the need for entrepreneurs and innovators, based on values such as inclusion, collaboration and other European principles. Such a school would also be part of the facilities offered to the people engaged in a complete working environment.
- Vocational Studies - an important part of the Cluj IT industry employees could come directly from an IT related vocational curricula. This would also reduce part of the pressure on the employment market, but most importantly would engage young talents into the industry in their early 20ties challenging the status quo and contributing to more innovation.
- Professional Reorientation - the Cluj Innovation City project aims at fostering industry verticals that already matured, while not missing the large pool of specialists delivered by the local univerisites that might not be employed or satisfied with their job. In order to accelerate the growth of successful industries such as IT and Agriculture, professional reconversion education is part of the ecosystem. The Technical University of Cluj-Napoca has already started since 2013 such an education program for preparing IT specialists by conversion from other industries.
- Continuos Specialization - achieving excellence in various domains requires permanent education that may not always be available in the curricula offers of universities due to its degree of specialization or speed of evolution. The Cluj Innovation City project contains such education structures, complementary of primary, vocational and academic studies to deliver various industry specializations such as IT or engineering.
Applied Research & Development
The project focus is on facilitating research and development efforts of joint universities teams for obtaining deployable solutions in the core industries. For achieving this there are multiple elements planned to ensure delivery of results:
- Cross domain teams - all research institutes part of the project are based on mixed teams from the 6 universities involved. While breaking the department or university barriers they enlarge their capacity of delivering solutions to real society and industry issues.
- Supply chain structure - research institutes part of the Cluj Innovation City innovation centers are structured with interfaces and collaboration provisions, so that results of one institutes feeds the needs of the next while achieving complex solutions at a innovation center level.
- Proximity to industry - collaborating with industry for solving real issues companies are confronted with brings both a competitive advantage to the economic player, but also financing of the research activities.
Without efficient technology transfer the results of the research and development investments are lost. Having companies close to the universities may not always be enough since there are more solutions generated than the capacity of local companies to put in the economy. We have reserved special facilities for international partners involved in technology transfer so that innovation results meet the ones that may put them into the economy.
Innovative Product & Service Development
The purpose of Cluj Innovation City is to foster creation of innovative products and services. While today most of the local Cluj industry focuses on outsourcing the local economy is at threat given scarcity of IT professionals, making their cost rise creating a real concern to local companies. While focusing on product development, companies would no long scale up linear to number of employees, reducing their risks with talent sourcing. Own innovative solutions also come at better profitability and more financial stability.
SMEs are the heart of European economy. Romania does not yet have a healthy entrepreneurship culture supported both by the education system but most important by the public authorities. Through the components part of the Cluj Innovation City there are targeted the following aspects:
- Education - providing the the right skills for embracing entrepreneurship from young age.
- Spin-offs - assist researchers put their R&D results in the market
- Young entrepreneurs - facilitate more youngsters access to mentoring and facilities to start a business